« Return to List
Posted on 08.18.2015
The Daily Healthcare Reading List
As a healthcare communicator, it's important to stay informed about industry news. But with everything you’ve got to do during the work week, and the abundance of news outlets to choose from, it can be tough to find enough reading time.
In 2013, I shared with you my shortlist for daily healthcare reading – the websites, email newsletters and blogs that helped me keep up-to-date on the issues my clients care about without feeling overwhelmed. A lot can change in two years – particularly in the media – so it seemed like a good time to refresh the list.
So if you find yourself struggling to find enough time to read everything you want or need to, here’s my updated list of favorite, go-to sources scan daily:
- Modern Healthcare. Modern Healthcare's website, daily email news blasts and sister sites provide comprehensive coverage of breaking news, issues and trends affecting the healthcare industry. Pretty much required reading for healthcare.
- Becker's Hospital Review. Becker's Hospital Review and its email blast options deliver a constant flow of industry coverage, including news briefs and insider tips from industry experts.
- AHIP Solutions SmartBrief. This daily newsletter curated by America's Health Insurance Plans provides a snapshot of important stories across the country's print and web outlets that affect the health insurance industry. In addition to AHIP Solutions SmartBrief, AHIP offers multiple newsletters tailored to topics such as policy and research, health reform and wellness.
- Healthcare DIVE. New since my last post on this topic, Healthcare Dive is designed for the time-strapped professional. Its goal is to provide “a bird’s-eye-view of the healthcare industry in 60 seconds.” The website and e-blasts (see also Healthcare Dive: IT and Healthcare Dive: Payer), give you a few key bullet points, a brief analysis, and get you on your way.
- KevinMD. Well-read physician blog KevinMD.com is an excellent source of news and commentary on healthcare from the physician perspective. Led by founder Kevin Pho, MD, a practicing, board-certified internal medicine physician, this blog has been repeatedly lauded and frequently cited by major media outlets across the country.
- FierceHealthcare. The various "fierce" sites do a great job of aggregating top healthcare news into a quick-read format with links out to the cited news articles for those interested in more in-depth reading.
There are many more options out there, but I find these are a good starting point and can often lead you to the big stories in other outlets. But tell me – did I miss anything?
Erin George is a Senior Account Supervisor at Lovell Communications. You can view more of Erin’s blogs here. Connect with Erin at email@example.com or @ErinLawley.