« Return to List
Posted on 06.18.2013
The Daily Healthcare Reading List
As a healthcare communicator, it's important to stay informed about industry news. But with everything that's got to get done during the work week, and the abundance of news outlets to choose from, it can be tough to find time to read everything that you'd like to.
That's why I've developed a pared-down list of healthcare industry websites, email newsletters and blogs I try to browse for at least a few minutes every day. For the most part, these sources cover the stories and topics necessary to keep up-to-date on the issues my clients care about without giving me inbox anxiety.
If you're facing the dilemma of "so much to read, so little time," maybe you'l find some of these suggestions helpful:
- Modern Healthcare. Modern Healthcare's website, daily email news blasts and sister sites (Modern Physician, Daily Dose, etc.) provide comprehensive coverage of breaking news, issues and trends affecting the healthcare industry. Pretty much required reading for healthcare
- KevinMD. Well-read physician blog KevinMD.com is an excellent source of news and commentary on healthcare from the physician perspective. Led by founder Kevin Pho, MD, a practicing, board-certified internal medicine physician, this blog has been repeatedly lauded and frequently cited by major media outlets across the country.
- AHIP Solutions SmartBrief. This daily newsletter curated by America's Health Insurance Plans, the trade association representing the health insurance industry, provides a snapshot of important stories across the country's print and web outlets that affect the health insurance industry. In addition to AHIP Solutions SmartBrief, AHIP offers multiple newsletters tailored to topics such as policy and research, health reform and wellness.
- Health Blog. This Wall Street Journal blog covers health and the business of health, exploring thought-provoking topics and new angles to the stories you're already reading in the news.
- FierceHealthcare. The various "fierce" blogs do a good job of aggregating the day's healthcare news into a quick-read format with links out to the cited news articles for those interested in more in-depth reading.
- Becker's Hospital Review. Becker's Hospital Review, and its email blast options, provide a constant flow of industry coverage, including news briefs and insider tips from industry experts.
- Feedly. This isn't a health blog or website, but rather a good place to store all the RSS feeds for the sites you read most frequently. If you're a Google Reader user, you'll want to get familiar with Feedly before July 1, the day Google turns out the lights on its RSS platform. I've got my Feedly organized into folders for Nashville news, national health news, and my for-fun reading.
That's a look at some of the industry reading I'm trying to keep up with on a day-to-day basis. What about you? Are there any good healthcare sites, blogs or newsletters that you'd recommend? Let us know in the comments.
Erin George is a Senior Account Supervisor at Lovell Communications. You can view more of Erin’s blogs here. Connect with Erin at firstname.lastname@example.org or @ErinLawley.