« Return to List
Posted on 11.21.2013
Rock Star Healthcare C-Suite Panel at Becker’s Names 10 Top-of-Mind Thoughts for 2014
After a lively discussion on the financial and cultural impact of hospitals employing physicians, panelists at the Becker's Hospital CEO Roundtable in Chicago last week were asked by healthcare publishing veteran Chuck Lauer what was foremost on their minds today about healthcare. They had only 30 seconds to respond; here is a summary of their comments.
- Data collection. It will be at the center of quality outcomes and financial reimbursement.
- Evidenced-based medicine. Physicians won't get "aligned" unless you show them the data. They are scientists.
- Cost control has never added any value to patients
- We need payment reform and we need it fast.
- 90 percent of all the scientists who have ever lived are alive today. Change will escalate.
- Patients need more skin in the game. Providers need to better educate patients so they can more actively participate in their own care.
- "The changes we dread most may contain our salvation." With credit to Barbara Kingsglover.
- Providers need to be encouraging patients to have advanced directives. It will save an enormous amount of money.
- We don't have any choice: If we don't collaborate, we won't make progress.
- We're still excited about healthcare.
Looking forward to the next annual Becker's Hospital Conference May 15-17 in Chicago.
Paula Lovell is CEO and founder of Lovell Communications. You can view more of her blog posts here. Connect with her at firstname.lastname@example.org or @PaulaLovell